Spring has sprung and salads are back on the menu. Here’s Ali’s favourite salad to give you heaps of energy for your next surf:
Serves 4, takes 20 mins (it is quick and easy and you will have leftovers for tomorrow!)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or flaxseed oil)
- 4 slices pancetta, diced
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 tbspn organic honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head radicchio, shredded
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced into thick matchsticks
- 3/4 cup pecans, or walnuts
- Combine the olive oil and pancetta in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until pancetta is golden and crispy. Strain the pan drippings into a small bowl and leave the crispy pancetta off to the side to cool. Add the Champagne vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Combine the radicchio, kale, apples and pecans in a large bowl. Toss while adding the dressing, little by little, until salad is well dressed. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with crispy pancetta.