Kale Pesto Pasta with Zucchini Mushrooms Olives and Tofu
Who doesn’t love a good old pesto pasta? Enjoy this wholesome variation with gusto.
- 1 packet of fussily pasta of choice
- 200g firm tofu marinate in tamari for minimum 30 min
- 1 zucchini cut into diagonal rounds
- 500g mushrooms sliced
- ½ red capsicum julienne
- 1 red onion cut into half moons
- Some olives
- Make pesto recipe below.
- Sauté your vegetables and tofu in long thin strips, add a touch of water to the pan, evaporate and slightly brown adding the leftover tamari at the end.
- Boil your pasta and mix everything passionately. Buon appetito!
- 1 bunch basil
- 1/2 cup pepitas/ pumpkin seeds dry roasted
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic- optional
Place the kale in a pot of boiling water and salt, cook without a lid for a 1-2 minutes just until it turns bright green, refresh in cold water to retain its colour. It can also be added raw if you can stomach it.
Place everything in a blender, or mini food processor and mix for a few moments thoroughly but not to soup consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste. Place in a sterilised jar (to sterilise a jar pour boiling water in it, swish it around and let dry upside down) and cover with olive oil, keeps for weeks.
Tip: You could add an additional 1/2 cup of parsley to the pesto for even more umph. Try other nuts instead of pumpkin seeds like almonds or walnuts.
Green leafy vegetables are highly alkalizing to the blood and contain lots of goodies like vitamin K, calcium and iron. As we said makes you paddle faster :-)
Thanks to the wonderful Carin from Gala’s Organic Kitchen for this beautiful recipe. Want more recipes like this? Carin runs workshops as well where you can learn more delicious recipes – just have a look at her website.